Friday, February 24, 2023

Things that suck: aging and exercise, just for starters

Wordle 615 5/6

🟩⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟨🟩⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yesterday the kid got up early again. She's enjoying a surplus of morning TV. T. took the kid to camp without me because I had that usual Thursday meeting right at 9, the dropoff time. On her way back she got donuts because she hadn't had any actual breakfast, including some for me. 

The meeting went fine. Other than that work was fairly typical. Dealt with an ongoing policy/organizational issue, where another team wants to use our tools in a way that's inconvenient for us (to put it generously to them, honestly), and a few ad hoc tasks. 

T. had a crisis in the early afternoon when she needed some ID documents for a job issue, including her birth certificate, and couldn't find it. After checking the safe, where she thought it would be, we checked about six other places around the house where it might be. Why so many? Partly because we've saved things we don't need, but partly because the house is too small to have one big centralized place to put paperwork, so instead it goes in half a dozen nooks and crannies. Clutter again! I should start a tag for this. Her birth certificate ultimately turned out to be with her parents in California, so there's no crisis.

Late in the afternoon I biked to the pharmacy to get a prescription for T., and then to Target for an Ethernet cable, and while there I got a few minor groceries. I forgot to use the fitness app but Google Maps says the straightforward route was 3.4 miles. Not bad. Then home for a little more work. 

I got the kid solo because T had a meeting. Timing was awkward for the evening and she was too hot for more playing outside so we wound up going to the library for almost half an hour. The kid browsed and experimented with searching the computer system for books and ultimately picked out two to check out. I got a graphic novel for myself and looked for a book about exercise but didn't see anything suitable.

The guitar lesson went well, I gather, although it wasn't the usual teacher. T. had mostly made dinner by the time we got home: grilled cheese and tomato soup. Easy and fast. 

I did my physical therapy at the very last minute before bed, but I did every bit of it.

I've had minor sleep problems for the past several days. Last night I put my earplugs in when going to bed, but woke up on my own between 5 and 6 anyway. Ugh. I have no idea why.

Musing or I might as well call it whining

The title is in reference to my general fitness issues. A minor annoyance over junk food almost became a big one yesterday when I ate some of the donuts T. bought, but not all of them because I wanted to save room for the cookie I got yesterday, but she didn't want the rest herself either. I don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill but there are many moles.

While writing that voluminous post yesterday, I went back to posts from July 2022. In recent discussions in/about physical therapists I've guessed that the problem began in August, after our trip to Spain, when we spent huge amounts of time walking around touristy sites without thinking too much about footwear. The doctors' appointment where I got the diagnosis was indeed in September, and I got through some notable exercise in Vermont without problems, but apparently the problem started way back on July 13! See also posts on the 20th and 21st. What's going on? Was this just totally spontaneous?

Jogging is unsafe at least until plantar fasciitis is resolved. Biking and walking on errands isn't adequate, not when some days they're up to 3.4 miles and most days there are none at all. 3 years ago I might have expected the kid to go straight from a passenger on our bikes to biking herself around but there have been months in between and realistically it might be years.

No comments: