Monday, February 27, 2023

Another day "off"

Wordle 618 5/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟨⬜🟨🟨🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yesterday after writing that I cleaned the kitchen and made breakfast and made no efforts to be quiet about it, but even so the kids slept until we deliberately woke them up. Breakfast was complicated - eggs and home fries for T. and I, and a toaster waffle for the kids after some drama because there was only one pancake and they both wanted it so in the end neither one had it, plus a fried egg for each kid and cereal for one after some deliberation - but quick, because the guest's parents came soon.

We expected the architect soon for some planning and measurements, but they cancelled without notice until I reached out to them. Ugh. So we had some free time in the morning. We watched TV and played our respective games. 

A little after noon, a quick lunch, then the kid and I went to a Cub Scout event: a hike. It was all on pavement (we're in a city, but still, maybe not the most nature-oriented event we've had), but it was near a park, and there was a talk about the buddy system and principles for being in the wilderness responsibly. Enrichment value aside, it was tiring for the kid, she started complaining about her feet hurting around the halfway mark, and for my bad foot as well. I'm a little confused, according to the map it's shorter than the walk I do once or twice a week, but something or other set my foot off. 

While we were doing that, T. coordinated with some Girl Scout moms and asked me to pick up some cookies from them and drop the kid off on a playdate. Unbeknownst to her, I also had plans to get a surprise for her birthday with the kid's help. She helped me pick out flowers and a cake. Then the kid got a playdate, I got the cookies, and I went home and got that stuff inside sneakily. (That is, walked in the front door, but verified that T. was absorbed in her game first.) In addition to planning all this out, T. had been busy with laundry and organizing tax stuff. We watched one episode of Pokerface and then I headed out again to get the kid.

Dinner was beef tips and roasted cauliflower. I did my physical therapy while cooking. I put the kid to bed about an hour earlier than usual. Dessert was T.'s favorite, tiramisu.

Stress

Another reason I've been stressed lately is T.'s birthday. I'm not great about picking or getting presents for her, or anyone. The bike mount I've been trying to sell was a present. Last year I got her a gift certificate to a spa and she's just using it today. By this point I've got her a card, flowers, cake, and we're going out to dinner tonight, and I got dinner a few times we ate out recently as well, that might be it but I'll keep my eyes open for anything worth buying/ordering today. Is that enough? It's certainly spending enough, but is it thoughtful enough, a "real" gift? 

If she just got me a card I'd be happy and wouldn't worry about getting her anything else, but she doesn't.

No comments: