Thursday, April 06, 2023

Hosting family

Wordle 656 5/6

🟨⬜⬜🟨⬜
⬜⬜🟩🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yesterday we had the house cleaned. We do this every few months. She arrived right around when I took the kid to school. T. got her started and I came back and worked like usual at first. She started cleaning upstairs, and when she finished, I set up a folding table upstairs for me and my computer and she cleaned downstairs. It was fine. Work wasn't too busy - discussions with my coworkers, but little to actually do - and I've handled worse disruptions even when it was. 

Meanwhile I was texting with my sister, who was traveling. Around 1 she let me know that she was off the plane and getting on the metro, so around 1:30 I drove to Eastern Market, returned some library books, did a little shopping, and picked her and her 5-year-old son up. Cool. The big city. My sister has been here at least three times before, and in other cities often, but this is my nephew's first time in a city bigger than Burlington. I had fun playing tour guide as we just drove by the Capitol and Union Station on the way to get the kid.

In the afternoon, we had no plans besides relaxation, but the kids didn't make it easy. Around our house, nothing was more interesting than spying as my sister and I chatted. At the local park, the kids quickly lost interest in the playground. There were bigger kids there and it's hard to share. I suggested going to the JO Wilson playground, a short walk away, and Swampoodle, a little farther, near the restaurant we were planning to have dinner. Almost to the first park my nephew fell and skinned his knee. There was a lot of screaming and blood. I jogged home for the first aid kit. By the time I got back the tears had stopped but they started again when we used an antiseptic wipe on him. We were surprised to find that the first park I had suggested was closed. In hindsight I should have realized it might be reserved for kids at the connected school during and shortly after school hours, but we rarely or never try to go there on schooldays. 

Swampoodle was a hit, though. T. met us there. Eventually we dragged the kids out of there and to the Indian restaurant. Indian food was also a hit.

Bedtime was hard. I think the kids kept each other up, and were just too excited to sleep.

No comments: