Thursday, April 27, 2023

I didn't bike, the kid did

Wordle 677 4/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟨⬜🟨🟩⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yesterday I drove the kid to school because there was another passenger, another kid on our block at the same school whose mother would normally drive us but was having car trouble. Traffic was bad. Talk turned to biking. Months ago I mentioned our bike accident in casual conversation to the mother and I think it might have scared her off biking. I'm not sure our enthusiastic stories to the daughter made it better or worse.

Work was fine. Two meetings in the morning, both of which required some talking by me but just a little. Yay for delegation. In one meeting I learned something about how the engineers on our contract work that I wish I had learned years ago, which I obviously have mixed feelings about. I could have got more done overall but I got the essentials, like some of the follow-ups on stuff from during or before the vacation. 

A little after 3 I logged off to get the kid to the first of two errands, a bike lesson. I was nervous because I was so late for the last attempt, but this time we were exactly on time. Woo hoo. During the lesson I sent two personal (i.e. not work) emails following up on stuff with/from T., and listened in on a work meeting. I don't think I was closely involved enough to bill for the time but the meeting was high-stress for our team so I didn't want to miss it entirely. I wish I had thought to take pictures or a video because she was basically biking by the end of it. Cool.

After that, the next item on the agenda was a makeup guitar lesson for the one we missed over vacation. When the kid found out she threw a fit. Guitar is her least favorite extracurricular and she showed it. I had to bribe and cajole her every step of the way. Either we should stop making her do guitar, or we should stop putting up with this brattiness, or both. We got there 15 minutes late but I don't feel too bad about that because the main reason was the bike lesson, and I'm glad we prioritized that.

Dinner was tacos. Simple but almost if not completely new to us. Figuring out what toppings to get was a hassle.

All in all, a tiring day. 

Not exactly lonely

In the evening I had a bit of a heart-to-heart with T. A few days ago she asked me offhandedly if I was lonely. I said I had to think about it because so much today is different from pre-covid, for many reasons. After thinking about it I'm not lonely. My biggest problem with my social life is how much of it revolves around the kid. T. seems to enjoy chatting with other parents while supervising kids more than I do. Not sure if there's anything to do about it other than wait for her to age out of this stage (other than ask T. to do more without me, but that would be dickish), but we'll try to think of something.

No comments: