Tuesday, April 04, 2023

Malaise, procrastination, and stress

Wordle 654 4/6

🟨⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟩🟨
⬜🟨🟨🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yesterday work was OK. I got the last inputs I needed to finish that old document that came back, and said I'd have my work on it done the same day. Unfortunately I both procrastinated (Warcraft when I shouldn't have been, more on that in a minute) and underestimated how much time it would take me to finish. 

I worked on that until the last minute to get a bus to physical therapy, but it turned out I should have left 5 minutes earlier because the next bus would have got me there late, so I walked. Sometimes I think it's crazy to walk that far, but when the weather is nice, fitness is the goal, and I have no other source of exercise in a day, why not? Physical therapy went well enough. In addition to the exercise we talked about the future. Next week I'll have a running examination or something like that to get data about when I can return to normal, and what that means.

After that, I went to the barber's for a haircut. It's short now. Then a quick trip to the grocery store, and then home, just barely in time to go with T. to the kid's guitar lesson. After that, the kid played with friends at the school playground for a while, and then we went home. I tried to finish the SOP but realized I wouldn't be able to in a reasonable amount of time, so I took her to the park while T. attended a parent's meeting. (I kind of wish I hadn't gone to the guitar lesson! I could have finished the SOP!)

Dinner was pollo asado (I think it's meant to be cut into strips and served in fajitas or something like that, but we enjoyed it as an entree itself) and green beans. Easy and good enough. Afterwards we called my sister for some planning for her visit. Putting the kid to bed went well enough. During the usual evening TV we tried to plan a trip for our wedding anniversary in September, but got frustrated because a deal T. had seen had gone up in price a lot without warning. I can't be sure but I suspect it was just barely not false advertising. After all this I was so tired I fell asleep a bit on the couch before the episode was over.

The reason for the title

I'm not sure if it's depression in a biochemical sense, an age-appropriate midlife crisis, or a totally rational reaction to the status of these specific things, but my hobbies are making me feel nihilistic these days.

  • Warcraft: I've done basically everything on my main that matters that I enjoy, at least until more content comes out next month. There's always more stuff I could be doing on that character but it doesn't matter or I don't enjoy it. I have lots of alts with the potential for fun and rewarding content but they all have something that keeps me from investing too much in them - wrong server, wrong professions, too redundant with other characters I have. I could stay on top of the "chores" in one or two hours on Tuesday and twiddle my thumbs for the remaining ~19 hours I usually play per week. 
  • Comic books: I own exactly 1,319 comics, barring counting errors. I have got about four and a half boxes in a spreadsheet and still have about half a box to go.
    • That includes the complete runs of four series I enjoyed (180 issues plus some tie-ins) and about 5 collector's items that are already worth a decent amount of money or might be someday. It also includes some longish runs (let's say from 4-6 series, totaling about 200 issues) of other series I like but missing big fractions of them. The rest?
    • A random assortment of stuff I thought was good when I bought it but my tastes have changed, stuff I thought was an investment but was wrong about or should have known better to begin with, and some completely random junk. For every J. Michael Straczynski or Jim Starlin, there's a Chuck Austen or Rob Liefeld. 
    • I don't exactly regret the time or money I spent on this. There are worse hobbies for an introverted boy and young man, and the quality of comics aren't much worse than Sturgeon's Law would indicate. But I do regret not sorting it and trying to sell the dreck years ago. Because, barring a miracle today, I'm going to have to put these boxes back in storage this afternoon and then get most if not all of them out again when I find a buyer. (I don't plan to sell them all, but chances are slim that I'll be able to get them all sorted perfectly today, because other stuff is going on.)

No comments: