Tuesday, February 22, 2022

A good day should feel better

 Wordle 248 3/6*

🟨⬜🟨⬜🟨
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yesterday was the first day of February vacation for the kid, and for T. and I, it was a day off, because our offices observe President's Day. So what did we do with the free time?

I started the day feeling kind of grumpy and out of sorts. We hoped to get several things done, but they're neither the most important tasks ahead of us nor the most fun, so I was disappointed before the day started. I'd call my mood depressed if it makes sense to be so clinical about a day-to-day or even hour-to-hour feeling.

The kid spent the day at a salsa dance camp. She'll spend the rest of the week there, why not the first day as well? After we dropped her off, we had breakfast sandwiches at a nearby cafe. Then we went to Costco for gas and some random shopping (food and similar things were logical, but there was also an impulse purchase a chair). Then Lowe's for mulch. We got back home from those errands around 11:30. T. did a lot of cleaning. I did a little cleaning and then went jogging. It was sunny and around 60 degrees; I figured I might as well take advantage. At 1 someone from a roofing company came to discuss problems with our gutter. After that we had a snack and I made a few phone calls. One was to Allstate, about the insurance settlement from the bike accident. We've got one check from them for damage to the bike itself. But we're told we can expect more for them for pain and general discomfort and the kid's doctor appointment, and that hasn't shown up yet, so I want to figure out why. I called, left a message, and emailed.

Around 3 we walked to REI to look at new bikes for me. T. made an impulse purchase of a chair there too. I borrowed a bike for 10 minutes to try it out. Just as I left the store, I got a phone call. It was the Allstate representative. She said the checks were mailed out over two months ago. Considering that they got lost, we decided on a phone/app-based way to send the money. As for the bike, it felt OK but I was annoyed about how basically all attachments - fenders, pannier rack, even the kickstand of all things - had to be bought separately. T. encouraged me to check the other bike store within walking distance. We walked over there, and sure enough, in the window they had something like the one I had tried out, for a similar price, including most if not all of those attachments. We had to look at it through the window because the store is closed Mondays. Whoops. Maybe today or tomorrow?

After that it was time to go get the kid. She had had fun at camp, apparently. Dinner was tortellini and broccoli. 

After that I tried to take care of the insurance money. It was a frustrating process, (probably) requiring an app I didn't already have (could be either of two apps! I don't know!) but the way it works doesn't (seem to) match the instructions. I spent at least half an hour on it fruitlessly. One annoying thing is, even if I do get this to work, I'm not sure it's all the money they've said we should expect. Another crazy thing about it is, it's sort of free money; is it really worth the aggravation? We've already got the check for the damage to the bike itself. If on Dec. 16 they had told me that that was all they'd cover, I would have shrugged and probably considered it good enough. Not great, but much better than any previous bike accident. But at some point they said we could expect more, so I've been expecting it, and having to jump through all these hoops to get it is fucking annoying.

Meanwhile the kid was watching TV. By the time it was her bedtime, I had run out of patience and didn't put up with the usual shenanigans. I feel a bit bad about that but it's hard to handle on a normal day, which this wasn't. I went to bed earlier than usual and needed it.

Oh well. I got good exercise yesterday, at least. I didn't finish as much as I should have or would have liked to, but I tried.

No comments: