Wednesday, February 23, 2022

I want a pan galactic gargle blaster

Wordle 249 X/6*

🟨⬜🟨⬜🟨
⬜🟨🟩🟨⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜

Ugh. Thus endeth a 40-day winning streak. 

Total time to troubleshoot the insurance settlement issue has passed one hour, maybe even one and a half, and it's not resolved yet.

Yesterday work itself was simple enough. Team leads' check-in meeting in the morning. I got what I needed to get ready for an upcoming presentation about my team (but still need to actually do it!) In the tech writers' team meeting we discussed a lot of little issues. There was one annoying incident where a teammate gave me feedback on a document but I didn't ask for it and technically don't need it. I took or will take it, it's good feedback and it would be dumb to reject it just because it was unsolicited, but it's still a bit annoying to have to deal with extra stuff on a task like that.

In between work I troubleshot problems like the insurance settlement payment. It was painfully absurd, like something out of Catch-22 or The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The initial text included a phone number to call with problems. I tried that and it turned out to be a Bank of America help line and they could only help me with problems making a deposit in an account with them; they said I'd have to talk to my credit union. I called my credit union and they said the problem was with the banking app. I called the banking app and it was hard to speak to a human. Among other things the automated menu included two options that weren't mutually exclusive, something like "press two about problems with transfers, press three about problems with client bank apps", when I'm apparently having problems with a transfer via a client bank app. When I finally got to a human, he said that the problem was that my bank didn't have my phone number registered in the right place. It's a joint account with T. and she's the primary account holder in some sense. I haven't got around to following up yet but I think my next step should be the insurance company again.

In between those problems and actual work, I troubleshot problems with the work network on my personal computer. On Friday at 8 PM someone from tech support had reached out to me. He didn't seem surprised to hear from me again until yesterday. Apparently my ticket got assigned to someone who usually works the second shift. We weren't able to resolve it yesterday and I think we actually made things worse. 

After work, the kid had a swimming lesson. Yay. I planned to work out at the gym. When I got there I found that I had forgotten my towel. I worked out anyway and just hung out outdoors afterwards. If the weather had been different I might have not worked out, or regretted it.

Dinner was chicken lo mein from a bag. Easy and relatively fast.

The kid woke up at 4 in the morning this morning due to a nightmare, she said, and came into bed with us. She never fully got back to sleep on her own. She read for a while in her room, and then in the bathroom, right next to our room. When I got up at roughly the usual time, she came downstairs with me. After she got ready to face the day she watched TV. She was well-behaved except for being annoyingly cheery.

No comments: