Thursday, February 17, 2022

Chocolate and cat treats

 Wordle 243 4/6*

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩⬜🟩
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Work was uneventful yesterday. I finished my edits on a SOP of our own. If my teammates have no changes, I can officially reapprove it myself. Everything other than work, though...

I finished the eighth book in that Wheel of Time reread yesterday morning, and that might be it. The 9th, 10th, and 11th are in a box in the closet. Maybe they're in different boxes, and they're definitely under something heavy. Do I want to bother with that for the weak part of the series? I guess I could skip to the 12th, which is easier to reach... So instead, I spent a lot of time yesterday reading Project Hail Mary, and finished it right after dinner, including giving the kid some extra TV time so I could. It was a Christmas present. I liked it. 

In the snow/ice storm a few weeks back a cable pulled out of where it was attached to our house. It was functional but now hanging low enough that it was in the way of us opening the back door, among other things. Between bad weather, work, and other problems, it was hard to find the time to do something about it. I finally got out a ladder and jury-rigged something yesterday. It's not where it used to be but it's good enough.

In the process I had to paw through the basement a bit. It was disorganized. It was frustrating. We've had friction over clutter in the house. That's my side of the story; she'd probably say it's caused me being wasteful (why give away this perfectly good pan we've literally never used?) or disorganized. Some of the problems, I've solved only by shoving clutter into the basement, but that's not really a solution, is it? Cleaning it up is on the agenda for this spring, summer at the latest.

I've also mentioned (wow, this was a long time ago) T's habit of buying junk food. In the middle of the afternoon I came downstairs to find a bag of artisanally-crafted chocolate cookies. "Where did these come from?" I asked.

She was in another room at the time. "They're a birthday present from me!" is the answer I heard. Her birthday is coming up. I was a bit offended by the assumption that I wouldn't buy her anything, or anything she liked. I was also a tiny bit bothered by having more junk food around. Great, more temptation for me to resist. I wouldn't complain openly about her getting herself something, I should be an adult and resist the temptation, but still, I got a bit snippy at her about this and she got a bit snippy about me being snippy. 

Then half an hour later, she mentioned that she also got a card from her friend Meilee. Not a present from "me", from "Meilee". That puts things in a completely different light. I certainly wouldn't want to complain about what a third party gets her.

Later, right before bed, we were talking about the cat. For years we would only feed him dry cat food and he was happy with that. He has recently developed a taste for treats. Two or three flavors of this special kibble, including one with catnip in it. He begs for them whenever he's downstairs. We've got one half-empty bag in plain sight and two more, including one much bigger (let's say 8 oz. when full vs. 1 lb.), taking up most of a drawer by the door. As I was heading upstairs for the night, I said offhandedly for T. "Oh yeah, by the way, thanks for getting those extra treats."

She replied, also offhandedly, distracted by a game she was playing, "Oh yeah, let's remember to get him some."

We cleared up the confusion right away. She had forgotten we had bought them and thought we needed to get more soon. Her pack rat tendencies and junk-food-hoarding tendencies extend to junk food for the cat. I was cracking up until lights out for bedtime.

No comments: