Friday, September 30, 2022

Masks and Warcraft

Wordle 468 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yesterday was typical, except for the evening. Biked the kid to school. I have a weekly meeting on Thursday mornings and it went fine. I had a couple tasks at work and I finished them at the absolute last minute. T. went to get the kid without me so that I could have dinner ready as soon as they got back, because there were two school-related meetings and we each planned to attend one of them. T. was leading a meeting for the governance committee of the PTA and I was spectating at a school board meeting. I like to think I was prepared to take notes, but someone else on the PTA did a much better job than I would have, so I can't complain about that!

Masks

I think I've reached the point where mask use, or at least mask use the way we do it, is silly. I know the pandemic is still going around, and on the other hand I know the cryptofascists were calling it silly back in 2020, but if I think about how I've been using them, it's pointless. Wearing them in the grocery store is essentially a coin flip, or a matter of whether the first person I see has one or not. Tuesday, going to the concert, we wore masks in the cab to and from the concert, but not in the actual concert hall. It would have been pointless considering that we ate and had drinks, and few other people were doing it, but still, if you compare the relative risk, that's pointless too. 

I'm not going vaccine truther or anything, the kid still has to wear them at school and I don't want to make that any harder for anyone, I'm going to get my second booster soon, and I may always carry a mask around with me just in case. All that being said, my several-times-a-week use, basically any time I was indoors outside the home, is probably going to go down to less-than-monthly use. 

Warcraft

Yesterday they announced the date for the next expansion and basically all details we're going to get for the end of the current one. Am I ready? I'll say yes even though I'm not done with stuff and may not finish before the deadline. Either I've become more compulsive about the game in the last year or two, or I put things off more than usual in this season, or the developers have leaned a lot more on time-limited, fear-of-missing-out tactics. (All three are very plausible.) I don't want to lock myself in too much when I still don't know a lot about what's coming, or worry too much about what is in the end just a solo personal hobby for me, but I want my approach to the game to be different soon.

No comments: