Friday, October 07, 2022

That fucking day

Wordle 475 X/6

🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩

Ugh. That fits yesterday.

I tried a new route biking the kid to school yesterday, based on advice from a classmate's parent, and it went well. On the way home, a tiny bit of grocery shopping. After that the day got away from me, in so many ways...

Soon after getting home I took notes at a meeting. It was a bit busier than usual. In the morning I also sent out a couple reminders about new tasks we needed more information to get started, or old tasks that had become stalled. I tried to spend some time on the exercise bike in the morning, but it got interrupted by one thing after another so I didn't start until afternoon. Honestly, most of the interruptions were T., not games or work. Planning events weeks away, vacuuming our work space, a phone call... that was my choice to not interrupt it, it was unplanned, but I wasn't sure how work-related it was. In the afternoon I drove to Costco to get gas and exchange one allergy medication for another because I had bought the wrong one last time. After that I tried to clean up the notes from the meeting.

But I couldn't. Because I had apparently not hit Save. Luckily I hadn't put off reaching out to people about questions, at least, so I could reconstruct those from the Teams chat. But even so, I lost over a page of notes, including at least two actual action items. Fuck. I sent what I had before logging off with an apology.

T. went to get the kid after school without me, partly because she was trying out Girl Scouts and T. would be primarily overseeing that rather than me, and partly because we had evening plans so I needed extra time for dinner. As it turned out, it took them longer than expected due to terrible traffic. Dinner was a beef and broccoli stir-fry (using up leftover steak from several days ago). I thought it came out awesome, if I may say so myself. The kid's only feedback was complaining about excessively chewy bits of beef, but when pressed, admitted it was OK.

After that, evening plans. T. went out for drinks with other mothers of friends/classmates of the kid. I supervised a movie night with our kid and two of those friends/classmates. It was easier than we thought it would be. I just parked them in front of the TV and made sure the Halloween-themed movie wasn't too scary for them. 

But still, the idea of supervising three girls, on top of the day I had, was daunting. I was torn between "I need to stay sober to survive this" and "I need a drink now", so I compromised and had a weaker drink than usual.

Last night I slept better than the night before, but still not great. Snoring remains a problem.

No comments: