Saturday, October 22, 2022

Work-Life Balance, Redux

Wordle 490 2/6

⬜⬜🟩🟩⬜

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Tell you what, I'll attribute both yesterday's failure and today's success to luck.

Yesterday I started work a little later than planned because it was hard to find the wifi password. Last summer it changed - with my help, in fact - and I had my personal computer with me then, but my corporate computer now.

Eventually I got to work and it was fine. Not too busy which is just as well. At 11, local time, we had a chat with our architect about plans for the house work. Things are progressing. 

In the afternoon we went to the Lions Club to prep for the "celebration of life" of T.'s aunt, then to the library to get a bunch of books for the kid, then to a winery.

Before dinner I was asked to make cocktails. It didn't go well, so that was stressful. Dinner was enchiladas, made by a guest. By the end of it I was absolutely exhausted. Vaccine side effects blended smoothly into jet lag. I think T., the kid and I all went to sleep around 9 PM and I'm surprised I lasted that long. 

Two years ago, working from our parents' places seemed like both genius and life-saving. There was no childcare, there was nothing to do in our homes or neighborhoods, I was miserly with time off because there was a pandemic going around, and I was getting used to a lot of changes at work. 

Now, though?

We're in California for the memorial service of a beloved relative of T.'s. T. is taking the whole time off. I'm working half-days. Over Christmas 2020 and 2021 I took a few days off during travel, but also worked a few days. Probably other occasions too. Is this good work-life balance? I have taken one or two true vacations, pure vacations, since starting the pandemic, definitely when in Spain and probably coming out here in April but I'm not going to check now, but far more often I've done stuff like this. Is this actually a benefit of perpetual work from home or a curse?

No comments: