Friday, September 15, 2023

Being sick is boring

Wordle 818 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yesterday I set up in the guest bedroom and kept to myself while T. got the kid to school and did her thing. I worked about a half-day. It's all sitting down and fully remote, of course, but relaxation was good. Two meetings, only one had follow-ups for me and logging off immediately after gave me incentive to be unusually prompt about it. I just killed time otherwise, at my computer and in bed. 

As for boredom, it doesn't help that I just finished some Warcraft goals. If I had tested positive for covid a week ago, I probably would have taken a half-day, lay down for one hour, and been at my computer for the remainder working intently on those things. As it is, the time breakdown was similar, but my Warcraft time was spent on things that matter less and/or were even harder to make progress on. 

On Reddit a lot lately as well, and it gets worse the more I'm on it. I don't think that's boredom; I think the algorithm runs out of interesting things to put in front of me. Too much easy stimulation like that is addictive. The closest thing I've done to productivity or edification with my extra free time is reading. (Finished Vampire Weekend by Mike Chen, that's the book I returned to the library Wednesday, and started Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo, one of many books of T.'s that has been around the house for years and I've been vaguely interested in.)

In the evening, T. went to a concert with the kid. Just one of several things planned that will be cancelled or take place without me. I'm not as much of a concert-goer as T., but I would have actually enjoyed this one, or at least disliked it less than at least one of the last two. (But in hindsight, they got back around midnight, so I continue to feel good about not going.) I ordered dinner from Laos in Town, a nice place nearby we rarely eat at/from so I figured I'd treat myself to a little variety (and with my sense of taste diminished, I wouldn't be able to taste much else), and ate while watching the The Flash (I didn't see it in theaters, but we have a Max subscription anyways, I figure I might as well).

I was in bed with the lights out by 9.

No comments: