Monday, March 07, 2022

Fun is bad

 Wordle 261 6/6*

🟨🟨⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟩⬜🟨🟨
🟨🟩⬜🟨⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Ugh. Six is better than failing, but still, I'm not proud. Both my third and fourth guesses included letters I knew were wrong, I just couldn't think of anything else.

Also ugh. Yesterday was nothing but free time - a little laundry and the kid had a planned playdate with her friend M., and we called my parents, but other than that we could do whatever we wanted. It wasn't nearly as much fun as it sounds. As I said, the night before last, the kid was up late, and yesterday morning she happened to get up a little before 7, earlier than usual. By 10:30 AM breakfast (scrambled eggs and home fries) was over and the kid had already hit her TV limit for the day, and the playdate was scheduled for 2, a yawning gulf of more than 3 hours to fill. We tried two or three arts and crafts activities. With each one, she got a little frustrated quickly, and when she did, she started throwing things. Bad. 

Earlier it has rained, but by around noon it had cleared up, so we went to the park across the street with both T.'s new electric bike, and the kid's bike. T. could practice the new bike and I could help the kid learn to bike, with a handle similar in effect to training wheels. I'm not sure how much progress we actually made but it was fun enough. When we (really, the kid) got tired with that (really, frustrated), she noticed some friends nearby. She got frustrated when we told her we had to take the bikes home first, but we didn't want to leave either her or the bikes unattended. At least she didn't have a tantrum about that. We went home, she changed clothes, we had a snack, and we went back to the park. And we were basically there for the rest of the day. Her friend joined them and another more kids we knew came along too. T. and I and other grownups took turns coming and going for snacks or various other errands. It wrapped up by 5. When we went to give the kids a warning that it was wrapping up, we found that M. had hurt her ankle and been abandoned by the other girls, so the grownups were a little worried and I was a little mad that none of the other girls had let us know about this. 

In the evening, I made dinner (corn and spaghetti; weird combination but easy enough), the kid had a shower, we FaceTimed with my parents, and then she had music practice. Instead of guitar it wound up being karaoke, with Disney songs on YouTube. She did surprisingly well in my opinion for a first attempt at something like this.

While talking with my parents we discussed summer plans, among other things. We have several vacations and camps planned for the kid. Have to do something like that; we work full-time and she's 6 (will turn 7 this summer, but either way, too young to be unattended). My parents suggested giving her unstructured free time with them up in Vermont. On second thought, she can play outside freely in the country instead of being supervised in a park, and my parents are retired so they can spend time with her easily, so that might be fine. But my first reaction was abject horror, considering what yesterday was like.

No comments: