Tuesday, March 01, 2022

Bleh

Wordle 255 4/6*

🟩⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

That word was hard.

Traffic yesterday morning getting the kid to school was truly horrible. I could literally have walked to the school faster. One more bit of incentive to get the bike or bikes working, I guess.

Yesterday it was a struggle to do anything other than reread The Wheel of Time. (Over halfway through book 11, for what it's worth.) Over the weekend I started The Good, the Bad, and the Smug, and it seems fun so far, but it's just another novel. I managed to get the essentials done at work, and there were few personal chores other than laundry, but still, the day dragged.

At first glance I felt worried or just guilty about this. A Monday morning, especially after a weekend that was a half-day longer than usual, I should be more invigorated, right? Rested and ready to face the week? But on second thought, of course not. We spent that half-day Friday driving, and there wasn't anything relaxing about the weekend for me. T. said she had fun and I'm glad, but that doesn't mean I could or would have had fun. I kept the kid out of trouble while T. shopped Saturday and packed Sunday. The beach was too cold to really be fun. The kid loved the hotel pool, and playing with her there is fun, but not relaxing. 

I find myself missing World of Warcraft. I quit for four reasons: because there had been no new content of the game for a while, because what content there was, was a bit less fun to me than in years past, because I wanted to protest the company's policies and working environment, and to be brutally honest, to verify that I still could. What's the joke about addicts? "I'm not addicted! I can quit any time I want. I've quit dozens of times!" As for the status of those four reasons...

  1. There's new content, as of the 22nd, but 
  2. It's too early to say if it's good. Not just because it takes time to evaluate, but because it's not even all available yet. The changes to dungeons kick in tomorrow. The new raid only partially unlocks tomorrow; some of it doesn't unlock for a week or two after that. I kind of want to see and collect the new stuff on principle. I've seen everything in the game, except some stuff at the end of Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria, and got almost everything time-limited, except the very oldest stuff and the very hardest recent stuff. (Never got Cutting Edge, the award for the hardest difficulty of raids while they're current, but I've got the past nine Ahead of the Curves, the award for the second-hardest.) If I rejoin in let's say three months, it'll be a bit different for me, but I should still be able to get the essentials if I try. Including some stuff that's genuinely new, like cross-faction raiding.
  3. No change on that front worth mentioning as far as I know. I can't boycott everything with shady business practices, but Blizzard's were a bit too bad for something I was tied to quite so closely. Unfortunately I'm not sure I can expect changes in time for the new time-limited stuff. And of course...
  4. It hasn't even been two months. If I'm going to quit, there's definitely no point in rejoining that quickly.

So I'm not rejoining today, or this week, probably not even in March. But I have to admit I'm getting bored with reading fiction and just working.

No comments: