Sunday, January 22, 2023

Better than most unstructured days

Wordle 582 4/6

🟨⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yesterday T. asked for eggs, bacon, and English muffins for breakfast instead of the usual pancakes. Why not? 

We had no outings planned yesterday. Tentative plans for a playdate for the kid but that's it. So instead we got stuff done around the house. All the laundry, where normally that takes until Sunday night. The kid got cleaned up early (it was overdue) and practiced her guitar with relatively little complaint, and worked on cleaning her room a bit. 

In addition to laundry and general cleaning, in the afternoon T. and I took turns lying down a bit. We both had a bit of a headache. 

In addition to lack of sleep and stress over the house stuff - progress is good, but it'll be a lot of money and stress until it's done - I'm worried about the cat. He's sick. I think he's still having urinary problems, although he's spent an unusual amount of time for the past few days so I can't be sure, and he's definitely having respiratory problems. I don't regret cancelling this appointment, under the circumstances, but I wish we had followed up right after we got back.

The day went better than I would have expected. Normally the kid only wants to either watch TV or bother us. But there wasn't too much fighting about the chores she assigned. We got out a gummy candy set she got for Christmas and made a batch of those. That was interesting. Otherwise she did some word searches, read, and generally behaved herself. She did get more screen time than usual but it wasn't too egregious.

A little after 4 I went for a walk. Not too vigorous got I got to clear my head and get my steps in. Aside from the bare minimum of exercise, I think time to myself without screens or anything is good. I wouldn't say it goes as far as meditation, but it's at least time for introspection.

The kid's friend got to come over for a few minutes, but there was some miscommunication about their plans, so it was only for about half an hour. 

Dinner was a stir-fry, mostly beef and broccoli. The beef was kind of tough but it was still good overall.

After putting the kid to bed, like usual, T. and I watched a little TV while playing our respective games. Unfortunately she finished hers and tried to unclog the cat's nose right when I was in the middle of a dungeon that wasn't doing well. I should have helped her faster or just had the cat's water fountain ready earlier. Whoops. I don't know if there's a rule to be made there - "no dungeons while the cat is sick?" - other than just not procrastinating so much, but that dungeon was a mess either way. Sometimes they don't go well.

No comments: