Monday, November 21, 2022

A scout activity and playdate should make parenting easier than this

Wordle 520 5/6

🟩⬜🟩⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟨🟩⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yesterday I made scrambled eggs and home fries for the first time in a while, due to my illness and various other schedule disruptions. I missed it. But the kid didn't. She doesn't like home fries at all or even scrambled eggs all that much. Normally when we have those, she has leftover pancakes from the day before, but Saturday I didn't make those. It drove her to tears. I apologized because, OK, I guess I should have made plans clearer, but I still think she was a bit overdramatic... so she had a tiny bit of scrambled eggs, and cereal.

A little after noon, we dropped her off at the National Air and Space Museum with her Girl Scout troop, and T. and I drove on to the suburbs to do a little shopping for presents. Two books as birthday presents, one for a friend of the kid and one for the child of a neighbor, and cloth napkins, spontaneous Thanksgiving presents for T.'s cousins. She likes gift-giving. 

When we picked the kid up from the museum, we also picked up two friends of hers. The plan was a playdate, just them watching Addams Family Values or another age-appropriate movie. But the guests thought it was more interesting to play with the kid's cash register and give each other math lessons than watch the movie. I thought it was weird but didn't want to say they weren't allowed to do something educational and had to watch TV... unfortunately our kid isn't as good at math as the other two, so she felt left out and cried, and I encouraged them to play something else. They were still having enough fun that they made saying goodbye hard, though.

Dinner was supposed to be a stir-fry, but despite all the shopping recently we're out of soy sauce, so instead I hastily made chicken and opened a bagged salad.

No comments: