Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Sick of parenting

Wordle 521 4/6

⬜⬜🟩🟨⬜
⬜🟨🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yesterday the kid was sick so we kept her home. It wasn't that straightforward. A covid test was negative, so we weren't worried about anything serious, and it wasn't a great day for either T. or me to have a kid while we were working. But she was definitely coughing and had a runny nose and it didn't seem like allergies. We actually started driving to school before we were convinced that she was too sick for school. 

She behaved okay. I don't want to complain about a 7-year-old failing to keep herself productively and unobtrusively occupied for eight hours straight. It's just that we both had meetings scheduled for the afternoon, by which point her patience was running out...

Late in the morning I took her with me on a few errands. The FedEx center for a financial thing, the grocery store, and the library to return some books, and to get some new ones for her. 

At 3 T. had a job interview and I had a meeting, so naturally, the kid was hungry. I tried to make it very clear that my meeting was less important than T.'s and the kid should see me if she needed anything. She decided she could get herself some water... from T.'s glass, but T. didn't want to share when the kid was sick, so that was disruptive. I tried to help but was distracted by my own meeting, which I was trying to actually participate in, but had technical difficulties with. In hindsight I should have let people know I wouldn't be attending and waited on the kid hand and foot, but that wouldn't have been fun for me...

After we were done work, the kid practiced her guitar grudgingly (she accepted that she had to do it, but she was so congested, it was genuinely harder than usual for her to do the singing), T. took a nap, and I made dinner. It was a stir-fry, beef and mostly broccoli. An awesome recipe for the sauce if I may say so myself. Before I put the kid to bed we played chess with this beginner's rule set we have. She won. I have to stop going easy on her.

No comments: