Thursday, August 31, 2023

Ups and downs in unexpected places

Wordle 803 6/6

⬜🟨🟩🟨⬜
🟨🟨🟩⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩🟩🟩
⬜⬜🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yesterday I expected work to go poorly. I was right. There was a meeting scheduled about a document that has been stalled for over a year and the subject matter expert didn't show up. About half an hour later they reached out to me. Finally, with some heat to the discussion, it seemed like they achieved understanding what we need/want from them and they agreed to do it in some form, as far as I can tell. I logged off thinking it was in a good place and that was good for a half-day. Unfortunately my teammate J. texted me later to say that it was a mess again, or a mess in a new way, who knows. I didn't answer until this morning.

I found a little time for Warcraft. At first I logged on just to check something, and then it grew to doing something for almost an hour. I feel a bit bad about that, I was planning to stay out of the game MWF during the day, but yesterday was busy enough and today is shaping up that way as well so I don't feel too bad about it.

I took a half-day because the kid's school is always a half-day on Wednesdays, and the extended day program hasn't started yet. I expected to go parenting to go badly. There was one problem, but overall, better than expected.

I picked her up at 1 PM, took her home, made smoothies - yay, food she can eat that's slightly healthier than yogurt! - and prepped dinner, because I had a risotto planned but it would be time-consuming.

After prepping that, we took the bus to the Alamo Drafthouse to see Barbie. We got there at the last minute, unfortunately. It might have been nice to see more of the theater if we weren't running to our theater and ordering in the dark. T. had asked me to get a picture of the kid in the Barbie box but I forgot. The movie was fun. It was the second time seeing it for me. The kid had questions, but more about the mechanics of the ghost and stuff than about feminism. Oh well. 

On the way home was the one big problem of the afternoon with her. She asked for my phone. I said that TV in the morning plus a movie was enough screen time for the day. She wrestled with me for it the whole way home. Not an actual tantrum but close enough to be frustrating.

But once we got home, she spent a few minutes by herself upstairs, and then helped me with dinner politely enough. I don't know if she cried and beat herself up, calmly reviewed things and realized she was out of line, or did something completely unrelated for 5 minutes, and don't really care too much. 

Dinner was a risotto. She ate it. I wasn't too surprised, since she liked it last time, but any peaceful meal time is surprising these days. After dinner, I suggested a walk, and she, wonder of wonders, suggested biking. I was dubious, but wanted to encourage this sort of thing, so agreed. I took her on a loop around the neighborhood, and a tiny bit of riding her own bike as it got dark. I got her in bed only a little later than usual.

Got up at 4 this morning and couldn't go back to sleep. (I would have posted this earlier but the platform was broken.) I'm glad I have a doctor's appointment coming up.

No comments: