Saturday, December 16, 2023

Assorted annoyances

Wordle 910 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜🟩
⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yesterday I drove the kid to school and T. to work. After dropping the kid off we checked Google Maps for a good route, but the way it sent us had a road closed. Whoops. The road I diverted onto also had construction. There's just no winning.

That seems like a theme for the day. I worked on one document, with many emails and edits and pulling teeth to get questions answered, only to be told that it was obsolete. Why was it sent to us to begin with? No idea. I worked on a couple others that weren't that bad but still weren't good. Around 11:30 I ran to the Costco area for some errands, hoping it might be around an hour, but it wound up being over 2. I got in the gas line before anything else, had technical difficulties at the pump, figured I'd try again after shopping, and the line was longer then. I went to deposit $59 in checks, because it's so hard to get to our bank on a weekday, and felt fine about that at the time, but when I got home T. reminded me of a $500 check I didn't bring. 

At least taking old kids' toys to Goodwill was uneventful. I didn't even make time for exercise like I planned. I was still sore from the day before, and was genuinely working rather than purely goofing off, but still, not a good start with the "resolution".

I'm not sure if there's any lesson to learn from it all. Be smarter or pushier about lines? Plan a whole half-day for this sort of thing and be thorough about it rather than trying to sandwich it in between emails? Maybe there's nothing to learn about it and sometimes things just go wrong. On the other hand, I feel like that's the more pessimistic outlook. It's optimistic to think there's something I can do to prevent days like this.

Anyways, the afternoon was fine. Traffic wasn't terrible getting to the school, for once, nor getting from the school to gymnastics. For a little variety we had dinner at a Chinese place nearby. While the kid was in the gymnastics class, T. and I went to the nearby bookstore.

No comments: