Thursday, December 14, 2023

Field trip, work, orthodontics, swim, and resolutions

Wordle 908 3/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟨🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Drove T. and the kid to school yesterday. My annoyance at this is disproportionate to the time it takes in any given day, because we do it more often than we should.

After that I went home and worked for about 45 more minutes. Then I went to the Library of Congress to meet the kid's class for a field trip. They couldn't put me on the bus as a chaperone but said I'd be I was feeling a bit bad about this and tried to minimize the time because I had a busy day or two ahead of me, but T. and the kid thought it would be important, so I went. I got there 3 minutes before they were supposed to arrive. They got there more than half an hour late. At least I was able to spend that time hanging out with our friend M., who works there, but still, that was frustrating. I got a few pictures of the kid with her friends in the fanciest library in the city, and then raced home for a meeting. 

Work was fine. In addition to that meeting I had another one too, and got one document complete and a draft of another document sent out. Productive.

In the afternoon I dealt with the stress of an international call and straightened out some questions about our plans for April vacation, which is one of the only two presents T. has asked for. I paid for the hotel (although I fear we might want to change some details, not sure). Big step, but the flights will probably be even bigger. 

I left early to get the kid for orthodontics. I was fuming in the car about other drivers and Christmas presents. My approach to this holiday is probably not healthy. I was basically on time to get the kid, but it takes her 10 minutes to get downstairs and traffic was horrible again, so we were late for the orthodontics appointment.

Fortunately, they saw us anyway and it was relatively painless. After that, a little grocery shopping, and then we drove straight to swim class, which was later than usual due to the orthodontics appointment. It went well. 

Dinner was a microwaved fried rice dish.

Resolutions

I started thinking of these while going for that walk Tuesday evening. Consider it early, informal New Year's resolutions.

  1. No Warcraft Wednesday and Friday. "Blackout days" would be good, and those two seem as good as any. Even if I'm not any more productive at all, at least there will be variety to it.
  2. Some kind of exercise daily before noon. If shared space or family time is an issue, then a brisk walk will do, but ideally it'll be aerobic. I've thought about a specific time, but got hung up on meetings at different times, but that's stupid. I can always find some time before noon.
  3. Take the plantar fasciitis seriously. I've been better about it over the past week or so than I was for the previous six months, but still not as good as I should have been. I don't even care about jogging per se, I just want to get some kind of exercise, but that's getting in the way of what was the easiest kind.

No comments: