Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Christmas Day

Wordle 920 5/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩
⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

T. and I got up before the kid, which was kid of surprising. Christmas was relatively low-key, but still fun. Token presents for the adults, basically everything the kid asked for. 

The day was spent around the house. Reading, watching TV (the kid encouraged her grandparents to see the past 3 Doctor Who specials and we all watched the 4th one, which just came out today, together), playing Warcraft, playing other games, etc. I went for a walk for exercise but no one was too busy or active. Dinner was a nice, fancy lamb roast.

Warcraft

Took an hour or so in the mid-afternoon yesterday and played the game. Heroic raiding has been frustrating as DPS. Yesterday was the first time in a while I tried tanking on Heroic. Got one boss that was new to me, and two that were new to my warrior main (I got them on my warlock earlier), and made some good attempts on the next one. Good stuff. I don't like tanking PUG raids so much because of the responsibility, but if I'm willing to put the time into it, it can pay off. Something to remember.

I'm not sure if I should feel bad about playing it yesterday, though.

Reading

Yesterday I finished The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up (started here) and started The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck, a random book I saw on the in-law's shelf that seemed interesting.

  • Kondo's book, as I said early on, promises too much. It also would be unrealistic for us, and I think it doesn't say enough about how to handle shared space or shared property. All that being said, I think it was valuable. I want to declutter to make our upcoming moves (twice in the next 3 years, assuming we renovate) easier, and to make the home I spend roughly 80 percent of my waking hours in more pleasant. There's still a lot of stuff around I don't use and could probably persuade T. to part with. (There's a lot more it would be hard to persuade her to part with, but let's not dwell.)
  • Too early to say much about the second book. It's an enjoyable read, separate from whether it has any good advice. It's unusual that I'm reading so much nonfiction or self-help. Two in a row isn't a lot in raw numbers, but it's still probably a personal record.

Fitness 

I got in the bare minimum of steps. Good for me. That's about all the good stuff I can say. Between holiday cookies, the MIL's cooking, and finishing everyone else's food, I'm eating like a pig. I don't want to dwell on it too much, it's the holiday season, but still, I really, really, really want to turn things around at some point.

No comments: