Monday, December 12, 2022

I don't know how they have the energy

Wordle 541 3/6

🟩⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yesterday breakfast was relatively simple: scrambled eggs and toast. That was partly because we had a busy day ahead of us. At 11 the kid had a performance at her music school. We were joined by two friends of ours who she particularly likes. She was nervous, both because of simple stage fright and because she was performing a longer, more complicated song - something from Hamilton, in fact, where some kids were doing Jingle Bells - but it went well.

After that, brunch reservations, just to visit with those two friends. T., the kid, and I all liked what we had, although it was a lot more food than needed; our two friends didn't. Too bad for them, although I guess they have some reason to be finicky...

After that, home for an hour or so, for laundry and general downtime. Then at 4 we went to the birthday party of a friend of the kid's. It was at a skating rink. So she and her friends spent over 2 hours skating. She was going faster than last time and falling less - definitely learning. Cool. I went for a short walk  during the skating, but mostly just stood around and watched. I had planned to make dinner at home, but there was pizza and general kid's party food at the party around 6, and we were barely hungry anyway after brunch, so we just had a light dinner there. 

As for my alcohol intake, the day before yesterday, in addition to the 1.5ish drinks at the brewery, I had a beer at the neighbor's kid's birthday party. Yesterday I had a Bloody Mary at brunch. Yesterday night after getting home I had an oyster ale. I'm basically back to my normal intake after deliberately reducing it for a while, which is fine - it's the holiday season. I can reconsider things in January or February.

The kid chose to have a bath. We didn't require it, she had cleaned up right before the performance, but weren't going to argue. My parents happened to call then. I put the kid to bed, starting reading around 8, the usual time. After she was down, I went to bed myself without going downstairs, about an hour earlier than usual. 

It didn't hurt. Did it help? Did it help enough? Not sure yet. I wasn't doing much heavy lifting or sweating over the past weekend or earlier, but spent a lot of time on my feet, and supervising the kid is a low, constant level of stress. I was physically tired but also gorging myself so it's probably not a net positive for fitness. This morning I woke up a little before the usual time and I didn't feel tired by this point, like I did the past few days. To some extent it's normal to be busy and stressed this time of year, right? A vacation would be good, and a brief one is coming up, but I didn't have enough PTO for something more extensive. Maybe getting out of this rut would be as simple as job-hunting.

No comments: