Friday, May 19, 2023

Going down rabbit holes

Wordle 699 5/6

⬜⬜🟩🟩⬜
⬜⬜🟩🟩🟨
⬜🟩🟩🟩⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I biked the kid to school uneventfully yesterday.

Work was busy, and kind of weird. A meeting I took notes at in the morning - that's routine. Three team documentation review meetings after that. The second and third went well, as we would have expected. The first, we would have expected to go badly simply because of how behind they are, but it was even worse than that. There was a disagreement or misunderstanding about the basic plan for this stuff. 

I went down a long rabbit hole exploring how they have things set up and spent hours on it beyond what I had planned. It's messy and dumb and confusing... but it's mostly not our problem. It was worth the time to figure that out, but maybe not yesterday afternoon specifically. It's weird to be so obsessive about something that's not fun, except to the extent that researching badly-sourced documents is like playing detective.

I went to pick up my bike from the shop around 5, which felt like the last minute, and after getting home, drove to get T. and the kid. I was later than usual but T. had already signed her out and was supervising her playing with friends in the playground, so it wasn't a problem.

Dinner was chicken, the easy air fryer recipe, and peas. While cooking and eating we listened in on a school board event. There's some concerning stuff there.

Didn't sleep well last night. I woke up around 1:30, noticed snoring, and wanted to see how the couch would be. It wasn't as good as I expected.

When I got up this morning I once again had problems logging in on my work computer. I think I need to go out and buy a new card reader.

Minutiae

"Time to clean kitchen" feels like a measure of how my day goes on weekdays, how productive and responsible I am. Every day I need to clean the kitchen. If nothing else, there's the coffee pot and the kid's unique, not-dishwasher-safe cereal bowl to clean, and there's almost always more, like dishes left over from the night before. Ideally I feel like I "should" clean the kitchen as early as 10, as soon as the coffee pot has cooled, but if I have leftovers for lunch and there's Tupperware to clean then doing it all after lunch isn't too irresponsible. If I do it too late and I'm not legitimately busy or productive, it's procrastination for absolutely no reason.

When did I actually do it, and why?

  • Yesterday it wasn't until 4-4:30. I wasn't playing Warcraft much; I was mostly just sucked into the documentation confusion at work. Not sure how laudable that was.
  • The day before it was probably between noon and 1 PM - not too early but definitely before those afternoon errands.
  • The day before that it was around 4 or so, but there's absolutely no good reason for it, I just put it off as late as possible. 
  • The day before that was Monday. T. did it before noon if I remember correctly, but I don't feel too bad about that considering that I was legitimately busy and productive.

I don't want to think too much about this, both because any benchmark can be gamed and because it's fucking stupid back to front, but it seemed kind of interesting right around when I did it yesterday.

No comments: