Tuesday, March 07, 2023

Moderation isn't fun

Wordle 626 5/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟨⬜🟨🟨🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

We drove the kid to school as usual yesterday. 

Work was OK yesterday. One meeting in the morning, with ominous implications for our team but no actual action in the meeting. Most of my work yesterday was focused on that task that came in at the last minute Thursday. For a short notice job outside the usual process where they ignored the usual template despite my specific request... it's going OK. Step 1 was putting it in the usual template, which I spent most of yesterday on, and step 2, everything else, seems easier than usual because the document is already pretty mature. 

Later in the afternoon I had another meeting, with only minor action. 

We left to get the kid early because we have a new music teacher for her on a new schedule. She seemed to like the new guy. I like how the new schedule will have us home almost two hours earlier. We now only have two nights a week we basically can't cook. 

Dinner was rotini, with an improvised sauce/sauteed vegetables, and Brussels sprouts. It came out OK. 

I did most of my physical therapy while putting the kid to bed. Bedtime for the kid was kind of hard but in the end there wasn't any yelling and she only went down a few minutes later than usual. 

Warcraft

The title is in reference to my main hobby. A serious approach to the game is becoming less and less fun, but I can lose myself for hours on different characters getting ready for that serious approach.

Two days ago on my main character I got invited to a group for one of the two raid bosses that have thus far eluded me. We didn't get close, and I was performing below average for the group I was in. It takes teamwork and individual performance and we didn't have either. I found it reassuring that my job wasn't much harder than I expected once I got over the hump of getting invited and I just need to up my game and be persistent. On the other hand I don't look forward to beating my head against the wall of the group finder menu boss. (Or leading my own group, but that's a different problem, probably not a lesser one.) Yesterday on my main I also ran a dungeon and improved my score incrementally. Profession stuff, a major feature of the expansion, on my main character is also simple, easy when it doesn't require other people, fast, and incremental. 

Conversely, over the past week I had a blast on two alts. Their professions are both at more interesting stages than my main. Not exactly profitable or useful but more engaging. As for the "serious" stuff:

  • My evoker recently got geared up to the point where she could start Mythic+ dungeons, i.e. competitive content, and I did a bunch of them. They were easier than it normally would be because of a recent change encouraging people to do content they outgear, so my group members were good, but even so I enjoy this sort of thing. For my whole WoW career, my main character was a healer. Since December it has been a tank. My evoker is a healer and it's a familiar kind of challenge. Maybe I was wrong to switch? Or maybe I haven't given tanking enough of a chance yet.)
  • On my mage, I did a few dungeons and also a Heroic raid with not-complete-strangers. A community I'm nominally part of but not a regularly scheduled event. It didn't go terribly. Better than the pickup group with my main, certainly. I don't want to schedule time for that sort of thing regularly but it was nice. 

So to summarize, the character I've focused on has nothing to do in the game that I care about, but I got sucked into the ones I "don't care about" and played them for hours and considered doing the same on more alts as well. Last night, when starting my usual session over TV, I considered logging on my main for one more attempt at the raid before the weekly reset, or earning the reputation to buy a new recipe on my mage. I did the latter and probably had more fun and got a better night's sleep than I would have. I still haven't quite given up on my seasonal goals or my main in general but maybe I should. It's fun to binge on the game but not good for me.

No comments: