Friday, March 24, 2023

Working from home finally feels normal

Wordle 643 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜🟩🟩🟩
⬜⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yesterday after making sure the kid got ready for school as usual, I biked myself to work while T. drove her in. Outlook sucks via the remote work network, and I know it'll be better in person and think or at least hope I'll be able to reorganize in ways that improve my experience working remotely. 

Previous visits to the office: one month ago almost exactly; roughly nine months agotwo days before that, and before that I don't have details recorded here but I think it was May 2021 or something. So it's still rare. By now I've done it enough times that I'm no longer surprised or scared by the weirdness of the environment I know about, but I keep finding new examples. See below post-it note, for example, which I found in the cubicle I happened to take yesterday. Was it put there three days ago, three years ago, or a duration that can't be expressed in linear time? I'll never know!

Anyways, in the morning I got up to date on my highest-priority task. For lunch I broke from habit and instead of my usual haunts, went to a more upscale food court a little further away, probably catering equally to GW students and office workers like me. I got a sandwich and fries from Roaming Rooster, so it wasn't adventurous, healthy, or even new to me, but it was unusual while at the office, at least. 

In the afternoon I did the email reorganization that was my actual reason for going. Being in the office doesn't magically make me more diligent, unfortunately. Potential time-wasters at the office: this and Unfogged. Plus stuff on my phone I guess. Some other things are blocked. Others may be accessible but I wouldn't dare or feel justified. Those two are more boring than options at home but they're just as easy to alt-tab to, arguably easier thanks to the dual monitor setup. So I got to a few more productive things in the afternoon but not nearly as many as I hoped. 

Biking home was fine. Traffic was terrible. I guess my day to go to work lined up with cherry blossom tourism because in addition to crazy assholes in cars there were also a lot of tour busses. I got home just in time to get in the car with T. and go get the kid. 

When we got home the kid got to play with a friend for a bit. I made tortellini (the kid's favorite) and broccoli for dinner. It was small but after my big lunch I wasn't too hungry and no one else said they were. We had extra dessert anyway.

No comments: