Monday, March 27, 2023

Scout moonlighting, socializing, and comic sorting

Wordle 646 3/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

The usual Sunday brunch yesterday. (Tangent: it seems boring to have such a strong routine on the weekend. Should we be trying new things on principle, or going out to brunch more? Then again it's a routine because it works - has something for everyone, the ingredients are always or almost always handy, and it's all at home, i.e. going out to brunch isn't so much fun when it's 40 degrees out. We can revisit this in the summer.)

After brunch I did some laundry and the kid cleaned her room and then invited a friend over. We chatted with her dad a bit. He had to go run an errand, so I took the girls to the park. While there we stumbled on a birthday party for a kid we vaguely knew and had some of the food and drinks from the party, and I chatted with the adults a bit. Crashing! 

We couldn't linger because the kid's friend's dad had more errands to run, and so did we. Around 1 T. took the kid to a Girl Scouts event. While they were out I did a little more laundry and worked on organizing that comic book collection. Around 2:30 I left to go to a Cub Scouts event. I wouldn't normally go if the kid couldn't make it, but the usual troops leader couldn't make it either, so I was asked to substitute. It went fine. The guest speaker did most of the talking anyway - a fireman discussing fire safety plans. 

I got back around 4:30 and did some more organizing. Dinner was lasagna and a cucumber salad. The kid had a rare after-dinner playdate with I., but dinner was earlier than usual and we had no reason to refuse. Her mother visited with us for a bit. An unexpectedly social day. I did my physical therapy between dinner and bed.

Comics

Right before putting the kid to bed I finished sorting my comic books. They're all in polybags and boards, after years when my new comics were just going in a pile, and all sorted (or at least sorted much better), because in addition to the pile I had used a system I can't figure out now on some of my old comics. 

That was the easy part. Now I need to figure out what I want to sell.

I want more space in the house. Comics from my teens or later aren't investments in any meaningful sense, so I should get rid of them, right? The store we went to Saturday had extensive back issues and the only stuff I found that I already owned was in the dollar bin. Even after we do an addition, our house won't be huge, and until then we're always short on space. And T.'s clutter bugs me so I should walk the walk and minimize my clutter, right?

There's one box I definitely want to keep. Three complete sets (John Rogers' Blue Beetle, the 90s Generation X series, and Peter David's Young Justice), plus some stuff that's intrinsically interesting or actually just might be valuable. But the other four boxes? I could look through them and pull out a couple hundred random comics I'd be happy to get rid of, but that wouldn't fill one long box (300 issues in each if you pack them tight). If I want to get rid of two boxes, let alone four, I'm going to need to make tough choices. Ugh.

No comments: