Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Self-inflicted problems

Wordle 634 5/6

⬜⬜⬜🟩⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟨🟨⬜🟩⬜
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yesterday we took the kid to school, despite her various maladies, and dropped T. off at work and I had the house to myself. 

Work was OK. I continued to put off this one SOP I should be working on and everyone had technical difficulties with their email, but on the other hand, I had two meetings, both went well, and got a few other minor things done. My day outside work, though...

Around 1 we got an invite to a meeting primarily between the architect and engineers at 3:30 that afternoon. Yes, it's short notice. Fine. One of my meetings for work was at 3 but it probably wouldn't go more than half an hour. Around 2 I walked to the hardware store for batteries, a new toilet brush, and cedar balls/blocks because we've noticed moths in a place we can't put mothballs. Uneventful, except that I couldn't find a toilet brush exactly what I was looking for so I got a grout brush instead. On the way home I tried to bring in the trash and recycling bins, but the gate door got pulled shut by the wind and jammed

I left it like that during my work meeting. When it was time for the architect's meeting, instead of the computer setup I'd normally use, I got out my phone and Bluetooth headset and listened in on the meeting. That way I could look around the house and basement for an adequate screwdriver or other tool to fix the gate and walk through the alley and house to attack it from both sides. Once I finally got it, I focused on the meeting more. Unfortunately there were technical difficulties whenever I tried to say anything. I'm not sure if it's related to changing devices like I did or what. 

Due to the meeting I left later than I had planned for the kid's swimming lesson. I only brought the bare necessities instead of a workout kit for myself - not that I was sure I wanted to anyway, but I didn't put it together before 2, and didn't think I had time to later. I got to the school before T. I was worried because I thought class was supposed to start at 5:30, but she said it was 5:45, and the instructor agreed. So I could have relaxed a bit. Whoops.

When we got home, I learned that T. had just ordered a brush very similar to the one I bought. Whoops.

Dinner was orange chicken. It came out OK. Bedtime for the kid was hard, but better than the night before.

In Warcraft in the evening I got into a very good raiding group. We cleared the six bosses I've already killed in record time for me and I stayed up later than usual to let it ride, even though I could have used the sleep. On the seventh boss they kicked me during/after the second failure. It was partially (entirely?) my fault. That stings a bit, but still, I'm well-situated for the rest of the week, especially with certain improvements I'm making or can make. I've been saying for a while now that I need to either get serious or stop trying. This is what getting serious looks like.

Recrimination

I named the post late last night, when dwelling on the gate problem and the schedule mix-up, but in hindsight the short-notice renovation planning meeting really didn't help. We wouldn't have scheduled it for today if we had had more input on it. And T. knew I was planning to get a brush for the toilet; why didn't she tell me she had ordered something very similar? And being short on sleep is a mixed blessing because it resulted from Warcraft progress, if that mitigates it at all.

No comments: