Thursday, July 27, 2023

Lazy at work, productive personally

Wordle 768 5/6

⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yesterday at work was slow, again. Two meetings in the morning, both productive, but that was pretty much it.

In the afternoon I got into gear on personal stuff. Walked for exercise and to go to the hardware store for some vermin removal (I'm worried about maggots and wasps again). After that I called our mechanic; the "maintenance required soon" warning has started in our car. Unfortunately they couldn't get us in before our trip this weekend. Should have called them earlier, but then, we tried at least once and failed. After that I made a therapy appointment, including filling out the insurance forms and screening questionnaire. I'm not sure there's a problem I need therapy for, but I'm not sure there isn't, and it can't hurt. I punctuated my day with some spontaneous push-ups to get a little more exercise.

I could wish I got started on that stuff earlier or got meaningful work done, but considering what the past two and a half days were like, I'll take the win.

Dinner was steak, grilled, and Brussels sprouts. Came out well. I had the evening to myself; T. went out after dinner with several friends from the kid's school. Normally I might have spent it playing Warcraft, but instead I smoked weed, did lots of reading (research into some financial stuff, plus going down rabbit holes about the UFO testimony), and got ready for bed early. Relaxation is good for me and it's not like I don't play enough WoW.

Warcraft

I recently mentioned going into detail on WoW and now is as good a time as any.

My main character is a warrior. Plate-wearing, badass, in the thick of things, leading the charge (tanking in dungeons, not so much in raids; more on this in a minute). I've got AOTC and KSM on him and completed the current tier's class set. That's all my seasonal goals except PvP, and that was only on my to-do list for like three seasons anyway. 

After him, the character I've played the most is probably my warlock. A pure DPS class with lots of utility. After her, it's hard to say between the mage I started the expansion on, created on a whim just because all servers with my existing characters were full, and an evoker, the new class, also the only healer I've played this expansion.

This is a first. I've played the game for years, and Dragonflight is the first expansion in which my main isn't a healer. It has been fun overall, but there are tradeoffs. 

  • One thing I liked about healing is that it was always in demand. Well, tanks are also always in demand for dungeons, and conversely never in demand for raids, or at least not in ways or for bosses that I want to do or am ready for. 
  • I feared toxic behavior and expected that an in-demand role would prevent me from being the target of it. Being a tank makes me still the target of toxicity, or simply constructive but unwelcome criticism. 
  • I thought tanking would be easier than it was in BfA and early Shadowlands, when seasonal affixes changed the game completely. I didn't want the responsibility of using an addon to manage routes which would then change from one week or key level to the next. It has been easier, sort of, in that I got to my "main" goals earlier (probably, haven't compared dates exactly and it might not be an apples-to-apples comparison, but I was probably early). But it's not as easy as I thought, and the difference is noticeable between how I tank and how others tank when I'm on another character and DPSing. If I want to take a constructive attitude to this I could say that it's a learning experience, but in a humbling way, which isn't always fun. (Not to be too negative about this. Sometimes other peoples' groups suck too!)

So if I've finished my main goals, what am I doing?

  • Incremental progress on pushing key levels on my main. Maybe I'll get to a score of 2500, which has a new reward of its own I've never got before.
  • Medium-difficulty stuff on the warlock and evoker. They definitely won't surpass my warrior in the current season, but maybe I'll get their current tier sets or the evoker legendary. 
  • Profession stuff on those characters and more. It's more work than usual, in fun ways overall. Making money (in-game; I pay a subscription for this game and very rarely spend real money on it otherwise) and pursuing completionism. I've maxed out all profession skills except jewelcrafting, engineering, tailoring, and enchanting. Over the past week or so I've got the easy stuff, the basic setup, on each of those. And profession skills is visible because there's an achievement for it, but it's far easier than maxing out profession knowledge; that's basically impossible to finish in less than a year but truly finishing it matters less. 
  • Leveling two more classes. I still don't have a priest or demon hunter at max level. 
  • Collecting appearances. In addition to the usual ways to do it they've added new stuff in recent patches. The new stuff is complicated.

To summarize, it's a fun and time-consuming hobby. The game is in a good place and I'm having fun overall, but in different ways in recent months, and I feel at least a bit worried about how much time I'm putting into it.

No comments: